The Essay is Done.

Jacques Chester thunda at manor.downunder.net.au
Sat Sep 4 01:21:39 UTC 1999

Hello again;

>>On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 02:31:02 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>>>     It's in zip format; apologies to gzip purists but
[snip]

>...All of which would be avoided had the author put the large
>document on a web page, and then sent just the URL.

Not all of us are so lucky. Not all of us have home machines
with line capacity measured in hundreds of kilobytes.

More importantly, some of us are submitting work to a body
that will *suspend* the author's assessment for several
months on the slightest whiff of plagiarism. Please observe
that discovering an exact or near-exact copy on a website,
for said organisation, is grounds to open such an investigation.

No matter to them that it is **my** paper. They will
spend months to ensure that. And for what? A few dozen
list-members? I think not.

>Sending a message 200K in length to a discussion mailing list
>is bad netiquette.

I am reminded, ruefully, of the old joke: the amount of Clue
on the 'net is constant, but the number of users continues to
rise :)

I *am* aware of the netiquette here. I *was* aware that this
posting would lead to a bandwidth hit at the OSI site. I've
railed against this before. Indeed, my decision to zip the
file sprung from this issue: minimise the impact. To be
honest with you, I'm very much the hypocrite here, having
railed against pipe-hogging on other forums ...

I'm sorry that I didn't make my position clear. I am alright
to release the file to private reviewers, but should it
appear in a public forum, I am quite likely to get called up
on possible plagiarism.

Thankyou for understanding :)

JC.