Accusations, accusations, always accusations

Andrew J Bromage ajb at buzzword.cc.monash.edu.au
Mon Oct 25 00:28:21 UTC 1999

G'day all.

Quoting Andrew J Bromage (ajb at buzzword.cc.monash.edu.au):

On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 11:42:37PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> Runs the risk of accidentally assuming that each line of code is equally
> significant.

That's true.  Some lines of code are run more than others, and some
are I suspect that gethostbyaddr() is much much harder to write than
printf(), for example, so printf() should probably be given fewer
significance points.  However an assembler, while being straightforward
(in principle) to write, may deserve significance points because it's
so fundamental to programming.  Plus there's the problem of what
programs are more important than others.  (Personally, every time I've
installed Debian, to pick but one, the first thing I did was deleted
emacs, but others might consider that piece of software essential.
Every time I've installed FreeBSD, the first thing I did was installed
bash, so there. <g>)

Oh, and it also runs the risk of being a total waste of time, just like
this discussion. :-)

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage