Accusations, accusations, always accusations

Chip Salzenberg chip at valinux.com
Sun Oct 24 20:34:48 UTC 1999

According to Richard Stallman:
> GNU is the name of an operating system.  (This is what the GNU
> Project set out to develop.)  Something is part of GNU if it is part
> of that system.

Yes, the GNU Project set out to develop an operating system.

It has, so far, failed to do so.  (Though the HURD is finally coming
together, from what I hear.  Congratulations.)

Meanwhile, other people took bits of things from here and there and,
in combination with the Linux kernel, succeeded in developing an
operating system.  They call it "Linux" -- more specifically, "Red Hat
Linux", "Slackware Linux", etc.

Their products, their names.  Deal.
--
Chip Salzenberg             - a.k.a. -              <chip at valinux.com>
           "I am the Lemon Zester of Destruction!"  //MST3K