Does a GPL API infect its apps?

Raymond Luk ray at hbe.ca
Wed Oct 20 18:08:20 UTC 1999

Web have a Web application framework which is open source
(www.smartworker.org). It is currently using a BSD-style license but we want
to change to GPL. It is essentially a set of mod_perl classes.

Does the fact that the API is GPL have any affect on apps written using the
API? I know that GPL does not 'infect' via mere aggregation and that LGPL
would cover apps if they were considered 'linked' to the API.

FYI, our intent is not to impose any restrictions on apps written using our
API. Just want to let developers know what they're getting into.

Thanks,

Raymond Luk
HBE Software Inc.
ray at hbesoftware.com