Free World Licence.

J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) jdassen at wi.LeidenUniv.nl
Wed Oct 20 13:10:53 UTC 1999

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 10:44:21 +0930, Ross N. Williams wrote:
> At 9:51 AM +0200 18/10/99, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
> >I haven't studied your definition in detail, but it looks like a platform
> >that uses the SCSL would match; are you sure that's what you want? (See
> >e.g. http://perens.com/Articles/StarOffice.html).
>
> The SCSL is big and complicated. Could you please summarize for me the
> main negative aspects of this licence as you perceive them, so I can focus
> on your concerns?

I haven't studied the SCSL in detail myself, but the primary concern
regarding the SCSL as I understand it is that it allows the licensor to pull
the rug underneath everyone working on his SCSLed software at any time by
taking it proprietary. Unlike e.g. free software the BSD license that's
taken proprietary, the older versions do not remain free(ish).

Ray
--
Cyberspace, a final frontier. These are the voyages of my messages,
on a lightspeed mission to explore strange new systems and to boldly go