GNU License for Hardware

Derek Balling dredd at megacity.org
Wed Oct 20 01:23:26 UTC 1999

At 07:06 PM 10/19/99 -0600, Richard Stallman wrote:
>For a long time, Southerners have made a great effort to deny this.

You're right, they're wrong. I mean, come on, what would the southerners
know about the "why's and wherefore's" of their seceding from the Union. Of
course, a computer programmer must certainly know FAR more about what
motivated the southerners than they themselves did.

For someone who says you can't read peoples minds (GNU developers, previous
message), you're certainly quick to read the minds of 100+-year-dead Civil
War Secessionists.

>You may have read their propaganda.  Or you may have seen something
>influenced indirectly by the Marxist idea that history is determined
>mainly by economics.  It is useful to look for economic factors in
>history, but they are not the only ones.

No, they were not the only reasons. The "War of Northern Aggression" was a
battle more about States' Rights than it was about Slavery as an individual
issue. Slavery was a catalyst to be certain, but the south was tired of the
economics of their lives being dictated by the north, something they had
every right to be.