Free World Licence.

Arandir arandir at meer.net
Tue Oct 19 04:07:31 UTC 1999

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Ross N. Williams wrote:

> >Major problems with this! I won't bother reading further. Despite the fact that
> >this would the license non-free and non-opensource,
>
> Non free? It's free of charge and the source code is available and you
> can modify it and pass on modifications etc. Sounds free to me.

But it's not free because my "friend" can't use it no matter how much he
attempts to modify it. He is not free to use it, not free to modify it, all he
can do is distribute to someone else.

Some people don't have a choice of operating system, especially in the
workplace, where they must use what IT wants them to use. At my work I have to
use Solaris. That hasn't stopped me from using gcc, WindowMaker or Perl.
Without the freedom to use Free Software at work, I would be stuck with Sun's
cc, CDE and cshell scripts. Someone else at work seeking a WM with Windows like
key bindings (old habits die hard) discovered IceWM. He is now seriously
considering Linux for his home computer because of it. He is also a firm
believer in the benefits of Open Source since some of his fixes for Solaris have
been incorporated by IceWM.

What I am trying to say is that you grow the community by inviting people in,
not keeping them out.

--
Arandir...