Free World Licence.

Arandir arandir at meer.net
Tue Oct 19 03:05:12 UTC 1999

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Ross N. Williams wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have created a new free software licence on which I would appreciate
> some feedback. The licence is called the "Free World Licence" and its
> main feature is that it allows the software to be used on free platforms
> only (GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, GNU/HURD etc - the "Free World").

Major problems with this! I won't bother reading further. Despite the fact that
this would the license non-free and non-opensource, it's just doesn't make
sense. It's rather elitist, saying in effect that some people are more
deserving of others merely due to their choice of OS. Very exclusionary! If you
are of the mindset that feels Free Software == Freedom, then why deny freedom to
those who need it most? Imagine Abraham Lincoln proclaiming emancipation only
to those slaves that had already been freed.

A lot of good intentions, though. Enough good intentions to pave a major
highway to hades.

--
Arandir...