Free World Licence.

Ross N. Williams ross at rocksoft.com
Tue Oct 19 02:55:16 UTC 1999

At 7:27 PM -0700 18/10/99, Bruce Perens wrote:
>From: "Ross N. Williams" <ross at rocksoft.com>
>> Aren't those sort of non-free components typically above the OS level?
>> My definition requires that only the parts that my program needs to
>> run be free.
>
>So no non-free drivers, for example?

Guess so. Are these common? I don't know.

>> AGGREGATION: Mere aggregation of another work not based on
>> the Module with the Module (or with a work based on the
>> Module) on a volume of a storage or distribution medium does
>> not bring the other work under the scope of this Licence.
>
>It sounds self-contradictory, though. You excuse aggregation but
>putting the program together with an operating system isn't
>aggregation?

I'm not sure what you mean. This clause is almost straight
from the GPL. I don't see a problem.

You can distribute FWL software with a non-free OS. You just
can't compile executables or run it on a non-free OS.

Ross.

Dr Ross N. Williams (ross at rocksoft.com), +61 8 8232-6262 (fax-6264).
Director, Rocksoft Pty Ltd, Adelaide, Australia: http://www.rocksoft.com/
Protect your files with Veracity data integrity: http://www.veracity.com/