GNU License for Hardware

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Thu Oct 14 15:18:35 UTC 1999

Derek J. Balling scripsit:

> You seem to think that you have
> the right to demand that they change the name of their product to include
> "GNU", simply because they are using some code you told them they could
> use.

"What RMS wants" != "what RMS thinks he has the right to demand".
I hear RMS urging people to use the name GNU/Linux, not demanding that
they do so, still less claiming that he has a right to demand that they
do so.

> Either you have to defend their right to take that code
> and name it what they will, or you have to admit to a harsh difference
> between your published philosophy and your actions.

Defending someone's right to do X is not the same as urging them to do
X, nor is it inconsistent with urging them not to.  I will defend your
right to create a fork of Emacs called "eat-my-shorts", but I will also
urge you not to do it.

John Cowan                                   cowan at ccil.org
       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin