[ppc-mobo] Re: GNU License for Hardware

Arandir arandir at meer.net
Tue Oct 12 08:01:03 UTC 1999

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Sven LUTHER wrote:

> Notice, that in all the examples you mention, both the kernel and the OS were
> manufactured by the same guys. Solaris kernel and solaris OS come both from
> sun, freeBSD kernel and the BSD utils on top of it come from the same group
> and have the same name.
> Only GNU/linux comes from two different entities.

What you call GNU/Linux comes from far more than just two entities. It is a
collaborative effort involving dozens of projects and thousands of individuals,
of which GNU is just one part. It doesn't really matter how important a part it
is. Even though there is GNU software on my system, GNU did not create the
distribution I am using.

How did this topic end up on license-discuss anyway? And why am I perpetuating
it?

--
David Johnson