GNU License for Hardware

Arandir arandir at meer.net
Tue Oct 12 04:51:37 UTC 1999

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Richard Stallman wrote:
> If you are inspired by the GNU Project and the Free Software movement,
> I hope you will choose a name that refers to freedom.  The word "open"
> calls to mind the Open Source movement, which differs from the Free
> Software movement in rejecting all talk of freedom, principle and
> other non-material benefits.
>
> See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html.

The problem is, "free" doesn't describe what Free Software is any better than
"open" does. It may be closer to free speech than free beer, but it still isn't
an unalienable right in the Jeffersonian sense. The vast majority of users are
still going to think freeware, no matter how much we wish they wouldn't.

Remember what Billy Shakespeare said about roses...

--
David Johnson