GNU License for Hardware

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Mon Oct 11 17:23:03 UTC 1999

My comments:

The use of "should" in clause 3 makes it without effect: the proper
word is "must".

Clause 5 ("no sale") doesn't have the effect you want.  In open-source
products, sale is not monopolistic.  Instead, you have prevented your
design from appearing in a book, or being distributed on a CD-ROM.
I suggest removing the first sentence and keeping the second
sentence intact.

Clause 5 should further make clear that distribution via the Web is
sufficient: a consumer widget does not have to be shipped with a fat
book of hardware design specs.

Clause 7 should provide that implementers can offer warranty protection
either with or without cost.

John Cowan                                   cowan at ccil.org
       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin