Off-topic: Respond Privately Please

Derek Balling dredd at megacity.org
Sun Nov 21 18:44:01 UTC 1999

An organization I am involved in is going to be doing some community
service, getting a number of community centers wired to the net via DSL,
giving them computers, etc.

The question has arisen as to whether to use an Open Source OS (in this
case, probably Linux) or to use Microsoft Windows.

The pros for Windows, as demonstrated from our discussions:

o	Designed for less computer-savvy users, which the target audience will be
o	Generally speaking most Windows maintenance can be summed up as rebooting
the machine [the Windows cure-all for problems]. Also most community center
administrators themselves use Windows, and so at least THEY are familiar
with the environment to handle questions from users.
o	Complete applications packages (MS Office, etc.) which people can learn
and have immediate practical application towards potential employment.
(e.g., If I know very little but I learn MS Word, I can possibly get a job
as a typist or something immediately, getting me in a better position to
learn other things and get off the streets, etc. The learning curve before
possessing "job-practical" skills from an Open Source OS is longer.

The cons:

o	Non-Free, both in terms of beer and speech
o	Piracy issues - People stealing copies of software off the machines, etc.
o	Viruses
o	Security - (alleviated partly if NT is used, but not entirely)

The pros and cons for the open source solution can best be described by
negating the cons and pros for windows. :)

I understand that we are in a unique position, where people come to the
computer arena with no preconceived notions and we could just force-feed
them Linux (or FreeBSD, or whatever) and they would "learn the proper way"
and wouldn't be really all that reticent because they're not "stuck in
Bill's world", but I'm not sure that for these people, in this situation,
that is serving them best. I think perhaps they MIGHT be able to get more
immediate practical use out of Windows machines.

We could do both, but that just seems really pointless, just subjecting
ourselves to the problems of both worlds unnecessarily.

Anyone with some experience in this matter (regardless of which decision
you made), please contact me, I'd like to get your thoughts on what you
chose, how it has worked for you, etc.

Thanks,