Draft 1 of the OpenDesk.com Public Source License

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Fri Nov 19 04:24:49 UTC 1999

>   I can write a program and use snippets of code from BSD and from
> Apple and from IBM and from Apache and it's all good.  It I keep each
> source compartmentalized, there is usually no problem.  If I mix
> them in up, there are ways to do that as well.  But if I want to add
> GNU code, then I start having intractable licensing conflicts.

Fred, can you tell us how many external contributions you are
getting to Darwin? There is a quid-pro-quo in which we all exchange
"developer attention", some of us writing system code or libraries,
others applications, etc. I'd be much less willing to release
free code if it were likely to be integrated into someone's private
project without an equal return of code to the public.  I surmise that
the proportionally lower interest in BSD, Mozilla, and other non-GPL
projects might be due in part to this sentiment.

	Thanks

	Bruce