Copyright of Facts

InfoNuovo at cs.com InfoNuovo at cs.com
Thu Nov 18 20:48:33 UTC 1999

Alex,

Interesting. Thanks for your response.

It looks like there are two themes here.

1. The first has to do with the use of facts from a work of authorship.  I
take the question to be whether the measurements you make are to be
construed as facts and could be used without being independently
(re-)derived.  I don't have anything at hand that provides guidance about
that.  I suspect that the measurements, if professed to be facts and taken
as factual (in the empirical scientific sense), would not themselves be
copyrightable subject matter, yet there might be a line that could be
crossed by someone using those facts and incorporating them in another
literary work.  Prudence would be advised, yes?

2. The notion that data submitted to a program could cause that program to
become a derivative work, whereas feeding it other data, which is also
suitable for the program, wouldn't.  This isn't something I intend to worry
about.  I can see how the output of the program might also be a violation of
some IP right held by another, but it is hard to see how the program becomes
a derivative work of its data as a general position.
  2.1 It might be a violation of copyright, license, whatever to use the
data with the program, but I don't think there is any way the data can
ordinarily infect the program into being a derivative work, regardless of
the logic of any argument to that effect.  It seems pretty clear that the
consequences of that as a doctrine are completely unacceptable to the public
interest and I would be stunned if it got anywhere.   Even if the data is
used interpretively (i.e., it qualifies as software) as part of the
program's procedure, I don't think we get very far.  (E.g., is GNU running
on a Sun Sparc a derivative work of the Sun Sparc processor?  Does csh
become a derivative work under the GPL when used to execute CVS?  Is a
program that makes calls to the BIOS firmware of, say, an Apple IIe a
derivative work subject to Apple intellectual property rights and licensing?
[As I recall, Apple once attempted to require licensing of software that
used one of their BIOS interfaces but the maneuver was simply
self-defeating.])  I am not considering non-copyright protections here.
Just copyright.
  2.2 I do work for which the LGPL is more appropriate than the GPL.  It is
not so much that the LGPL is needed, but that it makes clear that there is
no intention to restrict certain uses of a library that *might* be construed
as creation of a derivative work.  For me, the LGPL is an assurance to users
of my work that I will make no such claim and I give non-exclusive
unrestricted license to make such works if it is ever determined at some
future time that there is a derivative work involved.  That's been my
thinking on this.
  2.3 You suggested that the map data might be licensed under GPL.  OK, so
the compilation of data is copyrighted.  Isn't this first and foremost a
straightforward question under topic (1)?   An obvious derivative work would
be more data compilation, wouldn't it?  I think it hinges on what of the map
data is copyrighted subject matter, GPL or no.

Because maps, photographs, and works of that kind are subject to different
rules outside the domain of literary works, I don't want to go down those
roads.

-- Dennis