Can Java code EVER be GPLd, at all?

Justin Wells jread at semiotek.com
Mon Nov 15 22:40:44 UTC 1999

On Mon, Nov 15, 1999 at 02:14:36PM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:

> The problem is that copyright law does not recognize _reference_ as a form
> of derivation unique to software and hypertext. You can, however, write
> restrictions on reference into your own license.

But could I do this in an OSD compliant license? I think I would have to
move out of copyright law to do that, and I tried very hard to rework
everything in my license (SPL) so that it would fit into copyright law
in an OSD compliant way.

I'm loathe to give it up now :-)

However I could if it were the only way.

Justin