YAOSL - Yet Another Open Source License v1.03

Alex Nicolaou anicolao at cgl.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Nov 12 07:07:02 UTC 1999

Angelo Schneider wrote:

> Alex Nicolaou wrote:
> > It isn't clear to
> > me why my license should take steps to allow my software to be used in
> > countries where the laws are oriented at restricting my ability to
>
> The U.S. does exactly and only that ...
> Why should europe (or some country in particular) not do the same
> in return?

I include the USA in my sentiment. The point I was trying to make was
that the license is structured so that it all works or is void, period.
This makes it clear in case of any kind of dispute that the person in
violation of the license either (a) intended to follow the entire
license, since htat is required, or (b) intended to violate the license
and is liable. Either of these paths is better than the ambiguous (c)
intended to ingore portions of the license they new they could safely
ignore because of local laws. The complaint was that the license might
thereby prohibit an entire country from access to the software, and my
point is that I don't wish to accomodate countries and legal systems
that cause the license to be partially but not entirely valid.

alex