University IP and OpenSource

Dave Berry daveb at harlequin.co.uk
Fri May 14 10:01:30 UTC 1999

At 10:25 14/05/99 +0100, Richard Watts wrote:
> IANAL, and this is wrt. the UK - I believe it can, but only by
>contract - there's usually a clause in the matriculation agreement to
>the effect that anything produced during their course is the property of
>the University.
>
> The solution to this is either to strike out the offending clause and
>see if you can get away with it, or to go to another University.

IMO, a more practical solution would be to find the appropriate person to discuss the matter with, and get a written exemption.  As a related example, my company claims rights to all the code I produce, but I can get exemptions for any particular project by negotiation.

The underlying guideline is that even a large bureacratic organisations like a university is not a homogenous "it".  It is made up of people, many of whom are approachable and reasonable.

Dave.

Languages Group Manager.
Harlequin Ltd., Lismore House, 127 George St, Edinburgh, EH2 4JN, UK.
Tel: +44 131 240 6106.