new license to review

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Fri May 7 13:54:33 UTC 1999

bruce at perens.com writes:
 > > No modifications to Server Identification Field. You agree not
 > > toremove or modify the Server Identification Field contained in the
 > > ResponseHeader as defined in Section 1.6 and 1.7.
 >
 > This appears to be a restriction upon modification, in violation of OSD #4.

IMHO it's no worse than the Artistic License, which requires you to
change the name of the program if you break compatibility, or the BSD
License, which requires you to acknowledge original authorship.

 > > BY CLICKING ON THE ``Register'' BUTTON ON THE REGISTRATION FORM, YOU
 > > ACCEPT AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ALL OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS SET
 > > FORTH IN THIS AGREEMENT.  IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO ACCEPT THIS LICENSE OR
 > > YOU DO NOT QUALIFY FOR A LICENSE BASED ON THE TERMS SET FORTH ABOVE,
 > > YOU MUST NOT CLICK THE ``Registration'' BUTTON.
 >
 > Is this part of the license? Does it effect sub-licensing?

No, it came from their web page and I just over-cut it.

 > IMO they could have used a previously-approved license but for the restraint
 > on modification of the server identification field, and the requirement to
 > add a badge to the web site. Both of these provisions are very questionable
 > under the OSD.

Any suggestions on which one?

--
-russ nelson <rn-sig at crynwr.com>  http://crynwr.com/~nelson