A License

Rafi M. Goldberg rafimg at usa.net
Tue Dec 21 01:54:11 UTC 1999

Hey everyone,
	After learning not to expect any official certification for a
while, I've decided to submit a license I created to see what
everyone who is active on this list thinks.  It is called the Kennedy
Open License (KOL), so named because I created it for my school
(Kennedy High School).  We plan on using it for any CGIs or custom
software we create for our school's web site.  The license is based
on BSD, but has many differences.
	Note to any OSI people who might be reading this:  the
license has been modified a lot since I first submitted it to you.
And by the way, wouldn't it look really good if a high school went
Open Source?  All we need is certification...

Sincerely,
Rafi Goldberg
--License--
Copyright (c) <Year>, <Author>.
All rights reserved.
This software is freely available:
<Address/URL>

Redistribution and use of this software in source or binary form, with
or without modification, are permitted provided that the following
conditions are met:

-Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer in each source
code document and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

-Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer in the
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

-Redistributions in binary or source code form must clearly document all
modifications that have been made to alter the software from its
original form as distributed by <Author> ("The Author").

-Redistributions in binary or source code form must include complete and
unaltered documentation from prior distributions provided that it is not
obsolete, in which case said documentation must be properly updated.

-Neither the name of The Author nor the names of other contributors may
be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS."  ANY
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR
ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION),
HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,
STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE), ARISING
IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE - EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
--
Rafi M. Goldberg
rafimg at usa.net