The term "Open Source" in your JX Application Framework license

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Mon Dec 6 18:33:46 UTC 1999

Glenn W. Bach wrote:

> While we have *no* desire to be involved in any sort of flame war, we had
> simply felt that our license was that same as Qt's which is officially
> "Open Source".

The critical difference between your JX Application Framework license and
the QPL is that you restrict what kinds of entities may use your software.

Under the QPL, I can develop software using Qt for use in my business, as
long as I either distribute it as Open Source, or else don't distribute
the software to anyone but Troll Tech.

Under your JX license, I can't even develop such software; whereas if
I were developing it for my personal use, I could do so.  That makes
JX Application Framework not Open Source, because of clause 6 of the OSD.

If you want to have the same rules as Qt's, I suggest you consider using
the QPL itself.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies! || John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>