Proprietary software for Linux

Gabe Wachob gwachob at aimnet.com
Wed Dec 1 05:17:56 UTC 1999

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Mark Wells wrote:

> Anyway, transfers of copyright don't require a formal
> contract--work-for-hire is an obvious counterexample.

Actually, there *is* a writing requirement for transfer of copyright in
the United States. See 17 U.S.C. s 204(a):

"A transfer of copyright ownership, other than by operation of law, is not
valid unless an instrument of conveyance, or a note of memorandum of the
transfer, is in writing and signed by the owner of the rights conveyed or
such owner's duly authorized agent."

(at http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/204.html) -- also see
http://www.findlaw.com/01topics/23intellectprop/01copyright

	-Gabe

(I am not a lawyer, but I suffered through law school and mustered all my
strength to avoid that terrible fate ;-)