Essay RFC delayed.

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sun Aug 29 03:44:47 UTC 1999

    This is a "straw man" argument.  Working with a business is not akin to
    working with a serial killer.

I agree; the GNU Project has been working with companies
since the 1980s, and we are still doing so.

But when we work with companies, we have to be very careful about what
we do with them, to make sure that the joint activities really lead to
where we want to go.  It is very easy to be led away down another path
by ego-tempting "success".

Business executives tend to be very good negotiators and persuaders
(that's their job), so they are better at it than most of us.  We can
easily "lose our shirts", if we don't have something firm to hold on
to.  I recommend holding on tight to a set of principles.