Essay RFC delayed.

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sun Aug 29 03:44:40 UTC 1999

    I've spoken with many "normal" people on the idea of free software, linux,
    and that whole ball of wax.  They DO understand, and it isn't hard to reach
    them.

I find that almost everyone understands the issue if I compare
programs with recipes.  It goes like this:

    Do you cook?  (Yes.)

    Do you share recipes with your friends?  (Yes, of course.)

    Do you change recipes?  (Answer varies.)

    How would you feel if it was impossible to change a recipe--and if you
    share it with your friend, you were called a `pirate' and put in jail!
    [Let the horror sink in]
    That's the world most computer users are living in.
    A computer program is a lot like a recipe...