Essay RFC delayed.

Signal 11 signal11 at mediaone.net
Fri Aug 27 22:12:03 UTC 1999

"Eric S. Raymond" wrote:
> I'm just pointing out that it makes ineffective communications tactics
> for reaching people who aren't like us -- that is XNTX on the
> Myers-Briggs grid.

Well, about 25% of people are NT on the myers-briggs, if I recall correctly.
That's not a small minority.  And just because talking about ideals with people
who are of the sensing / feeling type doesn't mean ideals are lost on them.
To reach those people, you just need to be enthusiastic, energetic,
charismatic(sp?), oh yeah.. and being witty helps too.

I've spoken with many "normal" people on the idea of free software, linux,
and that whole ball of wax.  They DO understand, and it isn't hard to reach
them.  I mean.. it isn't hard to lay the facts out for them and connect the
dots.  I haven't failed yet to convince somebody that free software has more
benefits to them, the end user, than it's commercial equivalents.

But it is necessary to maintain some level of purity with the licensing styles
of the open source / free software movement.  I mean, the line has GOT to be
drawn somewhere.  Otherwise wierd problems crop up like the QPL's patching
fiasco, or Apple's botched license.  All these derivatives of the GPL, as well
as licenses that almost-but-not-quite make the OSD only confuse the issue.  We
really do need to be united, as a community, on this issue.  Unfortunately, it
seems to be the one thing nobody can agree on.

> it.  Take my job, please.

I'm working on it.  Unfortunately I still have 3 papers, a book, and several slashdot postings to go before I'm qualified.  Oh yeah, and being only 19
I still need to finish college.[1]  ;)

--
Signal 11, BOFH to the UF list and malign.net
"Got any more good ideas, Jim?" McCoy