RFC soon on essay "Does Free Software Production in a Bazaarobey the Law of Diminishing Returns?"

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Tue Aug 17 18:30:48 UTC 1999

    I'd opt for this one.  Except the magic pixie dust is the pursuit
    of the Right Thing(tm).  Unlike blundering corporations that write
    up mission statements and run around worried sick about profits,
    developers only have one goal - write the best software you can.

Some of us have other goals.  My principal goal in writing GNU Emacs,
GCC and various other programs was to produce a complete free
operating system, so that we could have the freedom to form a
community.

Many of the other people who have worked on the GNU Project have
shared these goals.  Without this idealism, our community would not be
where it is today.