What may or may not be appropriate for this list

Brian Behlendorf brian at hyperreal.org
Thu Apr 15 07:34:48 UTC 1999

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Derek J. Balling wrote:
> I think a discussion like this should be out in the open. If the listowner
> wants to deem it off-topic, I'm sure that they'll say something (unless
> you're the listowner *grin*)

I'm not the listowner, but I am an OSI board member and one who supported
the creation of this list, and I hope it's used for its purpose, which is
to evaluate licenses that get posted for conformance to the OSD, and *not*
as a general license debate forum.  There are god knows how many places to
discuss the GPL and IP issues.

While we don't have a license in front of us right now, let's try to keep
the traffic low; I'd like this to be one of those lists people don't
filter into their "read later when I've got free time sometime next week"
mailboxes, since license evaluation will need to happen quickly when one
is posted.

	Brian