Get ready....

bruce at perens.com bruce at perens.com
Wed Apr 14 19:42:35 UTC 1999

From: "Rob Edgeworth" <rob at edgeworth.org>
> I think it is important to establish right off the bat that any open source
> license is public domain (or better yet GPL'd).

Of course you must prohibit modification of the instance of a license that
is actually used to protect someone's copyright, or it isn't of any use in
protecting the copyright. It's OK for a _prototype_ license to be modified,
though, and then instantiated as a real software license that can not be
further modified. Whether this is allowed or not is up to the license
author.

I doubt this does anything positive for us, though. It sounds as if it would
only encourage the proliferation of more license variations.

Note that the GPL isn't under the GPL. I don't really have a problem with
that, because I think most modifications of the GPL would diminish it.

	Thanks

	Bruce