[CAVO] Definition of "open source software"

Patrick Masson masson at opensource.org
Mon Jan 15 21:21:38 UTC 2018

Hi all,
The OSI would expect something like (from our website), "Open source
software is software distributed under OSI-approved licenses,
guaranteeing that they be freely used, changed, and shared (in modified
or unmodified form) by anyone."
The OSI's authority has been referenced in other California
departments/agencies/policy etc., see:
AB-668 Voting Modernization Bond Act of 2018.
California State Legislature
September 2, 2017
"(k) 'Open source software or firmware' means software or firmware
licensed using a software license approved by the Open Source
Initiative."https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xht
ml?bill_id=201720180AB668
California Department of Technology
SAM 5300 Definitions
Accessed January 15, 2018
"Open Source Software: Software that includes distribution terms that
comply with the following criteria provided by the Open Source
Initiative"
https://cdt.ca.gov/security/technical-definitions/
State Administrative Manual (SAM) Section 4819.2
California Department of General Services, INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
(California Department of Technology)
September, 2016
"Open Source Software: Software that includes distribution terms that
comply with the following criteria provided by the Open Source
Initiative"https://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/sam/samprint/new/SAM_Master
/SAM_Master_File/Entire_SAM/EntireSAM.pdf
IT Policy: OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE POLICY (ITPL 10-01 )
Office of the State CIO
January 7, 2010
"Open Source Software: Software that includes distribution terms that
comply with the following criteria provided by the Open Source
Initiative"https://cdt.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/ITPL_10-01_Ope
nSourceSoftware.pdf
If they are interested in similar language from other states'
initiatives:
Approved Resolution Concerning Fees for Testing of Open Source Software
New York State Board of Elections
October 16, 2007
The State Board of Elections may elect to waive the fee for examination
of voting systems set forth in Section 6209.4(G) if...The vendor
submits an application for examination fee waiver including a sworn
affidavit stating that the voting system software and documentation are
offered under an open source license...(a) The open source license
shall meet with the Open Source Definition as set forth by the Open
Source Initiative which requires:
http://www.elections.ny.gov/NYSBOE/hava/Voting_Machines/ProposedResolut
ionConcerningFeesForTesting.pdf

A Strategy for Openness
New York State CIO, Office for Technology
May, 2008
"Open Source Defined. Open source software (OSS) is software which
unlike traditional proprietary software allows anyone to use, read,
redistribute and modify the source code without a royalty or other
fees. The Open Source Initiative defines ten features which distinguish
OSS from other licensing models..."
https://opensource.org/authority
New York State Senate Bill S173A-2013
New York State Assembly
January 9, 2013
"FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS SUBSECTION, A PROGRAM SHALL QUALIFY...IF THE
CODE FOR SUCH PROGRAM HAS BEEN RELEASED UNDER AN OPEN SOURCE LICENSE
RECOGNIZED BY THE OPEN SOURCE INITIATIVE, OR HAS BEEN RELEASED UNDER A
FREE SOFTWARE LICENSE RECOGNIZED BY THE FREE SOFTWARE FOUNDATION.
(Section 1.2)"
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2013/S173/amendment/A

On Sat, 2018-01-13 at 14:59 -0800, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Colleagues:
>
> The following definition is being proposed for the California
> Constitution in a voter initiative to fund the development of open
> source election software in this state:
>
> “Open source software” means software actually distributed to the
> public under software licenses that provide that every licensee is
> free to make copies of the software or derivative works thereof, to
> distribute them without payment of royalties or other consideration,
> and to access and use the complete source code of the software.
>
> Comments?
>
> /Larry
>
> Lawrence Rosen
> Rosenlaw (www.rosenlaw.com)
> 3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482
> Cell: 707-478-8932
> This email is licensed under CC-BY-4.0. Please copy freely.

  ||  |   | || |  ||  ||  | || |  |||  |  |||

Patrick Masson
General Manager & Director, Open Source Initiative
855 El Camino Real, Ste 13A, #270
Palo Alto, CA 94301
United States
Office: (415) 857-5398