[CAVO] Open source election software

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Sep 28 17:08:56 UTC 2016

Brent, this should be added to my earlier article supporting the use of GPLv3 for election software:

I believe that creating free and open source election software, mostly under GPLv3, will help reassure voters everywhere that their votes will be efficiently collected and recorded fairly. I said that in my earlier article. But this does not mean that all election software must be initially created under GPLv3. There is a large project community we can build around many open source licenses that are compatible with GPLv3 for election system software. For example, the OSET OPL, the MPL, and the Apache License, and many others, are compatible with GPLv3. Such software can trivially be aggregated with GPLv3 software for use worldwide.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

Rosenlaw ( <http://www.rosenlaw.com/> www.rosenlaw.com)

3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482

Cell: 707-478-8932

This email is licensed under  <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/> CC-BY-4.0. Please copy freely.

>From the OSET OPL <https://opensource.org/licenses/OPL-2.1>  license:

3.3. Distribution of a Larger Work
You may create and distribute a Larger Work under terms of Your choice, provided that You also comply with the requirements of this License for the Covered Software. If the Larger Work is a combination of Covered Software with a work governed by one or more Secondary Lcenses, and the Covered Software is not Incompatible With Secondary Licenses, this License permits You to additionally distribute such Covered Software under the terms of such Secondary License(s), so that the recipient of the Larger Work may, at their option, further distribute the Covered Software under the terms of either this License or such Secondary License(s).

1.12. “Secondary License” means either the GNU General Public License, Version 2.0, the GNU Lesser General Public License, Version 2.1, the GNU Affero General Public License, Version 3.0, or any later versions of those licenses.

/Larry