[CAVO] Wisconsin officials find 5 tampered machines

Juan E. Gilbert juan at ufl.edu
Sun Dec 4 00:37:03 UTC 2016

David, that sounds possible, but I don't know for certain that's the
case. The better question is what happens when the seal is broken? Is
there a documented protocol in any State for this scenario? If anyone
knows of any documented protocol in this case, please let me know.

Thanks,

On 12/3/16 5:22 PM, David RR Webber (XML) wrote:
> That label looks like the same warranty sticker as on your microwave
> or washing machine. What is the ES&S warranty worth anyway? Nothing
> probably.
>
> Highlights the need for digital watermarking - aka digital
> verification of the contents - OS and applications. Don't hold you
> breathe on being able to check that since there is no requirement for
> that built in to these systems. E.g. you want a supervisor level
> service at the OS level - to be able to verify that programs executing
> are the correct ones.
> I suspect what this shows is that someone opened the box to replace a
> faulty part - mechanical repair - and they do not have those natty
> little stickers to put back on again. The most obvious is when the
> power supply fails - and you put in a new one. These machines are
> aging now - and that is one of the first parts to fail. Then you have
> plugs and connectors that fails.
>
> David

Juan E. Gilbert, Ph.D.
Andrew Banks Family Preeminence Endowed Professor & Chair
Computer & Information Science & Engineering Department
Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering
University of Florida
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611