[CAVO] [License-review] OSET Foundation (See Our Draft Statement From Last Night + "?")

Klaus-Dieter Naujok klaus at illumonus.com
Mon Sep 14 22:47:55 UTC 2015

> On Sep 14, 2015, at 2:51 PM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
>
> One of my previous activities was as co-chair of the Legal Committee of the Open Web Foundation. This organization prepared a set of agreements for specifications that would/could become software standards. Our objective, as always, was to encourage open source. Take a look at that website. Attorneys for major software companies participated here. Those agreements were adapted for use in W3C Community Groups.

Larry, thanks for the background information. Over the years I have participated in many Standards efforts, local, national and international, some open and others not so open (ANSI, ISO, etc.). I wish all Standards and their development were open to anyone and free of charge for implementation, but there are costs associated that not always can be covered by membership fees.

> So I believe I understand the distinction between an "industry software standard" and a mere "specification for software.”

Great, sadly not everyone does.

> For elections I want open specifications (under CC licenses is fine, although I prefer the Open Web Foundation agreements because they include patent claims); I want open source software under the GPLv3 and other FOSS licenses; and to the extent you can get companies and government agencies to agree, I want open standards.

I share your vision.

> Given that the specification is under a CC license, why don't we just copy it and put it into our CAVO repository? Create a derivative work? Create FOSS software under licenses of our choice? I repeat: Who needs a new license? Who needs their additional permission to do this?

I agree with you, especially your last two points regarding at the need for a new license and their permission.

As to coping their stuff over to our own CAVO repository, I would suggest if this becomes a reality, that we filter out some of their stuff to ensure it fits our election requirements and specifications.

Regards,

Klaus

--
Klaus-Dieter Naujok, Chief Executive Officer
Illumonus, LLC - Simplifying eBusiness