[CAVO] Discussing proposed new licenses

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Sep 10 17:43:32 UTC 2015

Dear OSI Board,

Among the frustrating behavior of some open source folks – including members of your board – is what Nigel may have meant when he referred to "mail list judo." That game was played expertly at Apache too. I hate it.

You repeatedly move discussions from one email list to another in an effort to prevent full discussion and resolution. Each list has its own subscribers and its own narrow focus. Starting anew every few emails is a waste of our time. That is why we can never get clear answers from anyone. For example, when the folks at OSET are asked for specific responses, you bombard the email list with "take this discussion elsewhere..." and they can coyly shut up.

OSET wants their own alternative to GPLv3. The CAVO folks have challenged the OSET Rationale for a proposed new license. That discussion was properly posted on license-review at . Let the conversation take place without meaningless game-playing on email lists. If you've already made up your mind, please just say so and then shut up about moving the discussion to some other secret venue.

I assume there will eventually be a vote on the OSET license. Until then, let us discuss it.

Thanks.

/Larry