[CAVO] OSET Foundation

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Sep 9 14:53:04 UTC 2015

Hi Greg, nice to meet you.

I can appreciate your goals of increasing government priority for election systems and for government procurement reform to make software acquisitions cheaper and easier. I've heard similar goals among CAVO participants.

As Richard Fontana and others have mentioned, acquisition of open source software by governments is now largely second nature and easy. That software is cooperatively developed by many non-profit 501(c)(3) and (6) foundations and distributed by a wide variety of commercial companies that are profitable. That is no longer a big issue in my own work with open source.

Far more troubling to me is your insistence on a new license. The worst thing that will do is fragment the developer community with battles that won't result in better software.

In any event, rather than restating your goals – which were well explained in your Rationale document – please respond directly to my own rationale memo explaining why GPLv3 is the most appropriate license for elections software. Do you disagree and why?

https://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-discuss/2014-November/001580.html

Best regards,

/Larry