[beyond-licensing] next steps for Beyond Licensing?

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Wed Nov 29 19:03:48 UTC 2017

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Allison Randal <allison at opensource.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The Beyond Licensing Working Group was chartered for an initial year,
> with a note that we'd "evaluate next steps for the group after 12
> months". The year has passed, and the group hasn't been very active
> lately, what would you all like to do? The simplest option is to retire
> the working group, but we could also refresh with specific plans for
> another year of work.
>
> (The board is doing an overall review of active/inactive working groups
> today, so this is just general housekeeping.)

Thanks, Allison.  I'd be in favor of shuttering it now.  Some very
good discussion came out of the initial launch period, and those
discussions will always be accessible in the archives.  But given the
group's inactivity over the past year (or more?), I think maybe we've
found by experiment that those discussions are the main output of the
group -- which is fine, IMHO.  Not everything needs to produce a
manifesto or a next-steps agenda :-).

(Just my tentative conclusion; others may feel differently, and I
might change my mind on hearing what they say.)

Best regards,
-Karl