[beyond-copyright] Noticing when a company offers OSS edition as SaaS.

Brian Behlendorf brian at behlendorf.com
Wed Mar 30 05:04:34 UTC 2016

I believe wordpress.com is also OSaaS, though IIRC they offer commercial
templates and plugins provided by 3rd parties, and it could be the case
that their billing and provisioning software is purpose-built and not
widely released.  With software like ZPanel and Webmin and others there
may be a way to avoid requiring sites to also open source their equivalent
software and scripts, which are likely much more difficult to genericize.
After all, we allow there can be OSS software that runs on proprietary
operating systems and hardware.

I like a carrot-and-stick approach - badges if they pass a certain set of
criteria (self-attest, perhaps), and public shaming if they either are
found to have failed those criteria or otherwise confuse the customers
regarding which pieces are truly OSS/OSaaS.

Since this is generally harder to interrogate than someone's public
license, would it be inappropriate to suggest a certification program, one
with fees to fund the human time to conduct a certification process?  Or
is there some scalable way involving whistleblowers?  Perhaps the
self-attestation includes a provision swearing not to prosecute company
employees who approach OSI or the public with contrary evidence.  Though,
ugh, this is all more complicated than approving licenses.

Brian