[beyond-licensing] Legal topics that FOSS projects could use more information on

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at opensource.org
Wed Jun 15 12:15:36 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 05:06:38AM -0700, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Is it right to call it "dangers" when there are both pros and cons?
> For example, it's one of the only tools we have to help retire old
> licenses, or encourage greater license compatibility (for example,
> when Mozilla went triple-licensed with GPL, LGPL, and MPL).

You're highlighting the pros, while my subconscious was highlighting the
cons :-)

But that's kinda prove the point. We need resources explaining this
stuff to developers, because it's tricky and at the same time often gets
decided early on in the lifetime of a project.

> Also, trademark and patent rights are important IP for projects to
> manage, and benefit even less from not being managed.

Agreed. Although my contribution to the brainstorming here was
specifically on copyright, because I think it deserves separate
treatment.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o