[beyond-licensing] quick review of scope, resources, and goals

Allison Randal allison at opensource.org
Sun Apr 10 15:46:15 UTC 2016

Hmmm... well, yes and no.

An illustration: We could talk about how the "Eat Less and Exercise
Program" (ELEP) is so successful because it talks about the practical
results of losing weight, looking good, and feeling energetic, and
avoids talking about abstract health benefits. It is true that it's
easier to drive change with practical benefits, they hit more directly
on the motivations of the people who are changing.

But, just because you don't talk about the abstract health benefits of
ELEP, doesn't mean they aren't there. In fact, the abstract health
benefits are the direct cause of the practical benefits of losing
weight, looking good, and feeling energetic. And at some point, those
abstract health benefits are important in telling the difference between
ELEP and the less beneficial "Just Eat a Whole Lot Less", which might at
first seem like less work, but tends to only get you the "lose weight"
benefit (maybe), while leaving you looking sickly and lacking energy
from poor nutrition.

So, yes, open source does talk about the practical benefits of lower
cost, auditability, flexibility, accelerating innovation, etc. And those
practical benefits have absolutely helped drive a major shift in the
software industry. But, just because we talk about the practical
benefits doesn't mean the abstract benefits of software freedom aren't
there. In fact, software freedom is the direct cause of the practical
benefits of open source. And at some point, those abstract benefits of
software freedom are important in telling the difference between open
source and a license that only shares the source code but doesn't grant
the right to use, modify, and redistribute it. At first glance it might
seem "like open source", but the fauxpen source license only gives you a
fraction of the practical benefits of open source.

Open source and software freedom aren't two different things, they're
two ways of talking about the same thing.

There's more "yes" than just the power of talking about practical
benefits: one of the great contributions of the Debian Free Software
Guidelines (which are the Open Source Definition), was providing a set
of objective criteria to clearly define what is and isn't a free
software/open source license. Instead of wandering through a minefield
of subtle nuances, opinions, or leaving the decision up to a benevolent
dictator, the objective criteria make it possible for any human being to
reason about whether a license meets the criteria. It empowers a
community of individuals to reason about licenses, about freedom, about
practical benefits, and about the nature of their own community.

So, ultimately my hope is very similar to yours, for a crisp set of
objective criteria, empowering a new generation of conversations beyond
licensing. But, in the process, I also want to make sure we don't lose
sight of the central defining pillar of open source, which is software
freedom.

Allison